BEACH Community Partnership Reminding Ways to Get and Give Help in Recognition of Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week
On a single night in January 2022, 352 people in Virginia Beach were identified as experiencing homelessness. However, since families and individuals experience housing crises and move in and out of homelessness on an ongoing basis for many different reasons, the scope of the homelessness issue is much greater.
For more than 30 years, city, faith and nonprofit organizations have partnered together to address homelessness in Virginia Beach. This effort has since evolved into the BEACH Community Partnership, a unified coalition of individuals and organizations who are committed to making homelessness rare, brief and nonrecurring.
In recognition of Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week, BEACH is reminding the community how to connect with homeless support services and resources, and ways to join the effort to help people in need:
- Accessing the Virginia Beach Homeless Service System: People experiencing homelessness or a housing crisis have multiple ways to access triage and assessment for housing and shelter programs:
- Visit the Housing Resource Center (HRC), 104 N. Witchduck Road, during walk-in hours: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, from 8 a.m. to noon.
- Call the Regional Housing Crisis Hotline, 757-227-5932, Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Pre-Screening for Winter Shelter Program (Now through Nov. 22): Pre-screening is now open to help determine how many homeless adults (ages 18 and older) will need Winter Shelter and identify the most vulnerable individuals experiencing homelessness. It does not guarantee placement in the Winter Shelter. Pre-screening is being held at PiN Ministry and the HRC on various dates and times. To view the schedule click here.
- Find Community Resources: Organizations that provide support services, such as a monthly list of faith-based food pantries, clothing and financial resources; health services; basic assistance and more are available at BEACHCommunityPartnership.org/Get-Help.
- VB Home Now "Pack the Box" Community Donation Drive (Nov. 19, 10 a.m. to noon at the HRC): Help fill the HRC shipping containers with items that unsheltered individuals will need during the winter and help others moving from homelessness to housing settle into their own place. Most needed items (in new condition) include air mattresses, blankets, hats, gloves, diapers, backpacks and move-in kits with bedding, bath and kitchen supplies.
- Support a BEACH Partner: BEACH Community Partnership has a diverse network of organizations that provide support services for people experiencing homelessness or a housing crisis. Find a cause that speaks to you and learn how to get involved at BEACHCommunityPartnership.org/Give-Help.
- Become a Housing Partner: Landlords and property owners play a key role in ending homelessness by renting their units to families and individuals who are ready to move into permanent housing. Call (757) 385-5167 to find out how partnering with homelessness programs can benefit you and make a positive social impact in our community.